Sunday, April 11, 2010

Playing the piano one handed?

Because of my Cerebral Palsy I have very limted use of my right hand. When I type I only use two pointer fingers. I have normal use of my left hand though. Is it possible for me to lean to play the piano and still be good at it? All of a sudden, I have the urge to lean but my physical limitations are keeping me from pursuing it.Playing the piano one handed?
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]Playing the piano one handed?
[QUOTE=''harashawn''][QUOTE=''zeorshadow19'']Because of my Cerebral Palsy I have very limted use of my right hand.[/QUOTE] ... Are you my evil twin?? :shock: [/QUOTE]Evil chuckle* You didn't think a mere 12 story fall could get rid of me that easily did you? :twisted:
[QUOTE=''zeorshadow19'']Evil chuckle* You didn't think a mere 12 story fall could get rid of me that easily did you? :twisted:[/QUOTE] I thought the 37 bullets to the head would do the trick, though. :o
Nah, gave me a doozy of a migrane though.:? But seriously, any advice on my orgional post?


My best advice would be try some physiotherapy.

I have no idea what that is.
[QUOTE=''zeorshadow19'']I have no idea what that is.[/QUOTE]



''the treatment or management of physical disability, malfunction, or pain by exercise, massage, hydrotherapy, etc., without the use of medicines, surgery, or radiation.''


Problem is that it's your right hand, which is most of the time the workhorse in piano pieces, to an extent I suppose you could learn, but there isn't a great deal of music where it's possible to get by using only 2 fingers in the right hand.
I can manage two fingers well actuallly.
Really sucks that you have that... I know how you feel.
[QUOTE=''Gaming-Planet'']Really sucks that you have that... I know how you feel.[/QUOTE]I don't let it get me down. I can still dress myself, make my own meals, shower, and even drive if a car if it's modified correctly for me. Just gotta get offf my lazy behind and get my permit.:P I depend on auto aim a little more than I'd like to in some FPS's, but hey, it's there so I'll use it!
There are many LH oriented compositions in the piano repertoire, some even composed for the left hand only.

And I disagree, I feel the left-hand is the workhorse for the piano most times. Full control of the bass, and it can easily over-power the RH and fill an entire concert hall.
Of course you could! You'd probably have to use different techniques, but with practice you could become very proficient at playing the piano. Don't let something like that stop you from trying.
If Beethoven could compose whilst deaf I don't see there being any reason that would stop you from learning. For the best part of learning, your left hand will be jumping around playing bass and doing most of the work whilst your right hand plays a simple melody, so you might actually be quite suited for it. Although, as you increase your proficiency both hands become equally complex depending on what you're playing. I've been playing for about 12 years and it's one of the best things I've ever done :)
Maybe. If you can train your left hand to work really fast, then i see no reasonwhy you can't. If you don't succeed, pursue other interests.Good luck, TC
The guitarist Django Rheinhardt lost the use of two of his fingers in a fire, and he persisted in excelling even more.I dread to mention that clown drummer from Def Leppard who got his arm ripped off in a drunken car wreck in an imported US muscle car in the Yorkshire Dales, but still...
Think for guitar, base or Violin. They will do great aswell

No comments:

Post a Comment